Ozone therapy brings a healing response in the body by using medical grade ozone, a very reactive type of oxygen. As a result, it stimulates your body’s own immune system to heal, repair, and regenerate itself. European clinics have used this therapy for over 50 years.
What Is Ozone?
Medical-grade ozone is created by passing pure oxygen through a tube where electricity breaks apart the O2 and comes back together to form ozone gas, which is O3. This is the same way the ozone layer is created in our atmosphere, by lightning striking oxygen in the air. Ozone therapy greatly increases metabolism and improves biochemical pathways.
Your own immune cells make ozone. The ozone then destroys toxins, breaks apart bacteria, and inhibits the reproduction of viruses. Ozone therapy also improves blood flow in the body and thus increases oxygenation.
How Does Ozone Therapy Help Your Body?
- Significantly reduce or eliminate chronic pain through action on pain receptors.
- Activates the immune system in cases of infectious diseases.
- Releases growth factors to improve healing in joints and damaged discs.
- Destroys bacteria, viruses, and fungi while leaving healthy cells intact as your own cells have enzymes that can break down ozone.
- Improves oxygenation and blood flow in heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, cancer, and Alzheimer’s.
What Are The Different Methods of Doing Ozone Therapy?
Administering ozone into body cavities like the rectum or vagina or bladder brings good results. Similarly, drinking ozonated water and applying ozonated oils also yield good results.
Ozone gas can also be delivered into a bag and wrapped around a limb or body part. This is great for chronic wounds that need help with healing and regeneration. For example, diabetic wounds and venous stasis ulcers that don’t get enough oxygenation to the area and are hard to heal can benefit from ozone.
However, ozone blood treatments appear to be the strongest method of administering this type of therapy.
- DIV: Injecting ozone directly. This is not recommended unless it’s an emergency as it can increase risks of pulmonary embolism and chest discomfort.
- Major Autohemotherapy (MAH): It involves drawing blood out of a patient into a container along with saline and ozone gas, which is then pumped back into the patient.
- Minor Autohemotherapy: It is similar to Major Autohemotherapy, except a small amount of blood is drawn out of the patient’s veins, then the syringe is infused with ozone gas, and that ozonated blood is then injected intramuscularly in the patient’s buttock.
- Hyperbaric Ozone Treatment, sometimes also known as Multi-Pass or 10-Pass Ozone Therapy: This therapy infuses much higher amounts of ozone in a much larger amount of volume. It uses a specialized machine that vacuums the blood from the patient’s vein into a container, pressurizes the ozone gas into the blood, and returns the blood to the patient at much higher speeds and pressures. This counts as one pass. The 10-pass method does this 10 times, so you can imagine how much more ozone gas is delivered at quicker speeds by this method.
If you suffer from significant pain, injecting ozone directly into the site of your pain can sometimes bring the most effective relief. Ozone can also be injected into the joints, which will be discussed next.
This form of ozone therapy combines ozone, Vitamin B12, procaine, and sometimes homeopathic preparations. This combination is injected into tendons, soft tissue, and ligaments where it attaches to the bone.
It brings some local inflammation and muscle building in the area where the injection takes place. As a result, increased blood flow and increased fibroblast deposits bring on healing. Any damaged connective tissue regenerates through these fibroblasts.
This therapy is beneficial in cases of joint and musculoskeletal pain. Conditions benefiting from Prolozone Therapy include:
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Arthritic hips and knees
- Chronic neck and back pain
- Shoulders and elbow pain
- Carpal tunnel pain
- TMJ pain
- Degenerated discs
- Lessening scar tissue left by injury or surgery
The developer of Prolozone therapy reports up to 85% of people receiving this therapy experience relief from chronic pain.
At the Lam Clinic, we strive to provide the best treatment options available. Ozone therapy has proven to be one of those options,