IV therapy with vitamins and nutrients has been in use for many years. Today, IV therapy has proven to be effective in dealing with a multitude of conditions. If you’re healthy and want to slow down the effects of aging, increase your endurance and ability to recover from exercise, or want to boost your immune system, IV therapy can help. If you’re sick and would like some relief from your symptoms, IV therapy is also a great option depending on the condition or illness.
IV Nutritional Therapy
Intravenous (IV) therapy uses a needle and container of fluids to deliver nutrients and vitamins directly into your vein. This allows the fluids to get into your bloodstream faster than taking them by mouth. A variety of substances can be given intravenously, and they all fall under IV therapy.
IV Vitamin and Mineral Therapy
IV vitamin and mineral therapy helps boost your body’s natural repair ability. This helps you deal with the demands put on your body by trauma, illness, and aging. In addition, it also helps to keep your body’s resistance high when you’re faced with stress. Different vitamins and minerals are used in different cell processes, so it is vital to have adequate levels to ensure an efficiently working body.
IV Vitamin C
Your body does not produce vitamin C naturally. Therefore, you must take supplements in order to keep your level of this vitamin sufficiently high. Current research into the antioxidant properties of vitamin C suggests it is useful in limiting the damage caused by free radicals.
Research shows high dose IV vitamin C may help in making the side effects of some cancer therapies easier to handle. In addition, IV vitamin C helps in producing collagen, which is necessary for muscle, blood vessel, bone, and cartilage building. It is also immune-boosting and helps with adrenal health as it is a key cofactor in the production of hormones.
IV vitamin C may also help your body to:
- Avoid Alzheimer’s disease
- Prevent macular degeneration
- Prevent urinary infections
- Reduce anemia
- Speed post-exercise muscle recovery
- Decrease the risk of heart disease
- Improve quality of life for those with cancer
- Boost your immune system
- Fight skin damage caused by sun exposure
Glutathione, a natural antioxidant, comes from your liver and occurs naturally in fruits, vegetables, and meat. It plays an essential role in how your lungs, gastrointestinal system, and nervous system function. In addition, some scientists believe the amount of glutathione in your body may predict how long you will live.
Glutathione has been known to help:
- Fight oxidative stress in your cells
- Decrease the effects of aging
- Alleviate osteoarthritis
- Relieve chronic fatigue
- Boost your immune system
- Increase tissue building and repair
- Detoxify your body
- Protect your skin
- Age-related conditions like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s
- Toxic poisoning
- Cardiovascular conditions
IV Vitamin Bs
IV vitamin therapy with vitamin B brings the following benefits:
- B1 helps with the production of collagen for more flexible skin.
- B2 maintains collagen, fights inflammation, and makes wound healing faster.
- B3 fights and guards against sun damage.
- B5 moisturizes skin by keeping water inside cells and is a key cofactor in making adrenal hormones.
- B6 decreases sebum, which promotes acne.
- B12 helps increase red blood cell reproduction and fights inflammation, dryness, redness.
Research shows relief from migraines with IV magnesium therapy. In some cases, near-immediate relief from migraine headaches has been connected with IV vitamin therapy, particularly when the infusion includes magnesium and riboflavin. And research suggests that lower levels of magnesium in the bloodstream may affect migraine sufferers.
IV Vitamin Therapy with Selenium
Selenium benefits may include the following:
- Fights against damage from free radicals and inflammation
- Helps maintain a healthy metabolism
- May increase fertility in both men and women
- Helps regulate thyroid function
- May help with asthma
- May help retain cognitive function with aging
Benefits of IV CoQ10
CoQ10 is another nutrient with many benefits. These include:
- Boosts immune functioning
- Increases energy in people with chronic fatigue
- Fights oxidative damage
- Helps alleviate migraines
- Aids in controlling blood pressure
- Helps regulate blood sugar in people suffering from diabetes
- May help slow the progression of dementia
- Aids in protecting organs from damage due to chemotherapy
IV Hydration Therapy
Dehydration brings with it numerous negative consequences. Hydration therapy allows you to replenish your supply of fluids quickly through IV administration.
Keeping your body well hydrated carries the following benefits:
- Softer, smoother, more moisturized skin
- Fewer blemishes
- Fewer, less noticeable wrinkles
- Increased endurance and shorter recovery time for athletic or work activities
- More strength
- Less fatigue
- Better ability to manage stress
- More effective flushing of toxins in the body
IV Cocktail Therapy
One of the overall benefits of IV therapy involves the ability to mix several different vitamins and nutrients into one IV cocktail. For example, good fuel for athletes requires several components, not just one vitamin. Another example is IV Myers’ cocktail which consists of vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, C, magnesium, and calcium. This cocktail is known for helping with refueling energy, enhancing the immune response, and reducing fatigue. A balance of key vitamins and minerals can be infused using IV cocktail therapy.
Other IV cocktail therapies can help people with chronic illness conditions or issues with malabsorption. Electrolytes, vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals can be mixed with saline for an IV cocktail.
The most common side effects are pain at the injection site and redness or swelling there. With all IV therapies, it is important to let your doctor know about any conditions that might be affected by increased fluids.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you should avoid taking glutathione. Side effects are unknown at this time.
With IV vitamin C, your kidneys may need to be tested to be sure they work well, and if you are doing high doses of IV vitamin C, you should check with your doctor to make sure that you don’t have a condition called G6PD deficiency. Likewise, IV vitamin C may cause dehydration and lower your blood sugar if not carefully monitored.
Always consult with a doctor before getting any IV therapy as this type of therapy needs to be very personalized and individualized.
When time is short and the need for increased vitamins, minerals, or nutrients is high, IV therapy may be the best choice. You may be able to boost your immune system, reduce damage from free radicals, and rehydrate using this type of therapy. It may even help protect against some types of chemotherapy.